“As Sang Yoon explains, “I acquired a cold, and my buddy, Sal Marino of Il Grano, asked me for a bowl of stracciatella alla romana, the Italian soup with egg strands and semolina, while I was feeling under the weather, a few years back. After realising that adding ginger and spinach would improve my ghetto version prepared with boxed broth, I headed home to make it.”
This soup has a delicate flavour with a savoury undertone. It makes you feel comfortable and at home in the world. Additionally, it has a high protein content. The most significant thing is that it’s straightforward to put together! This Spinach Egg Drop Soup takes very little time to prepare and only requires a few essential ingredients that you already have on hand. This soup is excellent for the warmer months since it is low in carbs and calories.
- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger—2 inches thinly sliced, 1 inch peeled and julienned
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves, with stems
- Get the chicken stock boiling with the sliced ginger and 1/2 tsp of the white pepper in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Once the stock has been strained, could you put it back into the original pot?
2. Put the stock back on the stove and bring it back up to a boil before adding the julienned ginger. It would be best if you turned the stove down too low. Add the eggs and mix them for approximately 30 seconds, breaking them into long strands. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach. Add the last 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper and a pinch of salt. Serve immediately by ladling into bowls.
Calories: 79; Carbs: 3; Fats: 5; Saturated Fats: 1.8; Protein: 7; Fiber Content: 1 gm per serving.